Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Long awaited kitten pictures!

~
Since I've had one of my cats since October, I suppose it's time I included them here!

Meep (shown here at about 5 weeks old) is an utterly sweet fluffy black kitten with accents of silver, and the most adorable tufts of fur on his ears I've ever seen. He was rescued from under a porch, at perhaps 2 weeks of age, the only survivor of a litter that had the misfortune of being born right before an early cold snap. We're not sure how he survived the night before he was found, warmed and fed. He was not quite weaned when he came into my care, so he and I struggled together to get him drinking from a dish, then slurping soft food, then (finally) eating dry food. His face is a bit flattish, which seems to have made the process more difficult than it usually is - he'd try to put his mouth in the dish, but his nose would end up submerged too - so he ended up trying to drown rather than drinking, poor thing. It was a bit like taking care of an infant for the first few weeks. Since he's been in human company from such an early age, mostly mine, he's closely bonded to me; even though he adores Amma (whom I got to keep him company when I'm out) he's like a puppy when I get home, and one of his favorite activities is napping in my lap. How can I not find him utterly sweet?

Amma, shown here at about four months of age (a little over a month ago), you know a little about from my post in December when she joined the household. She was wary for a while, but is starting to really warm to me and can be just as affectionate (and as much a lap hog) as Meep, but on her own terms. She'll often sit on a cushion across from me and stare intently at me with wide open eyes but no expression. Sometimes I wonder if she's trying to put me under hypnosis... must-give-Amma-lots-of-yogurt-and-fish-must...
The final picture shows the both of them playing, about a month ago. Meep looks more like a cat and less like an alien now, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment